Application configuration and other administration tasks can be performed in Dundas BI without having to log in directly on the server. This makes it easy to administer the system and perform tasks such as changing configuration settings or adding a new license.
1. Accessing admin functionality
To access the Admin functionality in Dundas BI, first log on as an administrator user. In a typical installation, the administrator's logon name is admin, and the password is the one specified during the installation procedure. Users who are part of the System Administrator's group in Dundas BI also have access to the admin functions.
Next, if you are at the home screen, click Administration.
Alternatively, go to the main menu and click Admin.
You are now presented with the administration homepage and a list of admin functions on the left.
1.1. Administration homepage
The administration homepage is displayed for system administrators and is divided into three sections:
Application-wide errors and warnings, such as failed jobs, critical logs, or licensing issues, will appear at the top of the page and may include a link for further information.
Information related to this instance of Dundas BI, including the following:
- Instance version.
- License kind and licensee.
- Application identity and ID.
- Logon history over the last 24 hours, and the numbers of active logon sessions, running jobs, accounts, tenants, and servers. Click the value as a shortcut to the respective area.
Information related to the currently-used server, including the following:
- Server name and ID.
- Connection strings for the application database and the warehouse database.
- CPU and memory usage.
2. Administration areas
Admin functions are categorized into different areas such as Account Service and Licensing. Click on one of the headings to expand it and see the available options.
2.1. Projects / File System
The Projects & File System area lets you:
- Create, edit, and delete projects
- Explore and reorganize the files and folders within an existing project
- Rename, edit, publish, or delete file items (e.g., data connectors or dashboards)
- Set up security privileges and other properties for projects, files, and folders
See Manage projects and the file system for more details on the Projects and File Explorer options.
2.2. Account Service
The Account Service area lets you:
- Create, edit, and view user accounts, including seat type and application privileges
- Create, edit, and view account groups
- Manage logon sessions, including terminating a logon session
- View the logon history
- Define custom attributes to associate with users or groups for row-level security via filtering or security hierarchies
- Manage user-defined notifications within the application
- View, approve, or deny account registration requests
2.3. SaaS / Multi-Tenancy
Dundas BI has built-in support for SaaS (software-as-a-service) and multi-tenant deployment scenarios. Use the Saas / Multi-Tenancy administration area to:
- Create and manage tenants which are isolated from each other.
- Add user accounts or groups to a specific tenant.
- View and manage tenant projects.
- Share a single project and its dashboards with multiple tenants using data connector overrides.
- View and customize the licensed seats for each tenant individually.
The Licensing area lets you manage existing Dundas BI licenses and add new licenses. You can also see how many licenses of each type are in use and how many are available.
The Import/Export area lets you:
- Import and export projects, accounts, groups, and custom attributes
- Save your export settings for future use
2.6. System Health
Use the System Health area to:
- Access application logs to troubleshoot operational warnings or errors
- Manage running and scheduled jobs in Dundas BI:
- Verify email settings by sending a test email
- Run health checks and fix identified issues
See Monitoring system health for more about these options.
The Setup area lets you:
- View or modify configuration settings values, at the global, server group, or server scope
- Register servers and add server groups
- Create and modify tokens available for users when filtering data
- Manage localization and extensions
Click About to view the About screen for this Dundas BI instance.
The About screen displays information such as:
- Release Kind
- Build Date
- Licensed To
- License Kind
- License IDs
- Session ID
- Application Diagnostics
All users can access a similar screen from their profile via the More about this product link, but non-administrator users see fewer details. To also hide the product version from those users, enable the Hide Error Stack Traces configuration setting.