Manage projects and the file system
This article shows you how to add a new project and use the File Explorer to manage the file system in Dundas BI.
A project lets you organize related work in Dundas BI and collaborate with other users who have access to the same project. See Working with projects for more details.
2. Add a new project
To add a new project in Dundas BI, go to the main menu and click the Admin button.
This launches the Admin screen which presents a categorized list of admin options on the left. Click the Projects & File System category heading to expand it.
Click Projects to see the list of existing projects on the right. Then click Add project.
In the Create a New Project dialog, type a name for the new project.
If you're using multi-tenancy and have existing tenants, you can choose a tenant to be associated with the new project.
Select the Active Project option if you want the new project to be set as the active/current project after it has been created.
The Projects list is updated with the newly added project.
3. View the list of projects
In the Admin screen, click Projects & File System, and then click Projects to see a list of the projects in the system.
- For any project in the list, click its Edit icon on the right to open the Properties dialog. This lets you view or modify the settings for the project, including its security privileges.
- Make a copy of an existing project by clicking its Duplicate Project icon on the right. You'll be asked to enter a name for the copy and the initial project privileges.
- Private – After the project is created, only the creator will have access to it.
- Public – After the project is created, the Everyone group will have Read access to it.
- Custom – After the project is created, the the project's security dialog will open.
- Copy from source project (duplicate only) – After the project is created, the privileges used by the source project will be copied.
- Open the Maintaining Project panel by clicking the Maintain project icon on the right. This lets you view, edit, and delete unused entities in the project.
- To delete a project from the Projects list, click the Delete icon on the right and confirm the operation. Note that the built-in <GLOBAL> project cannot be deleted.
All of your work items in Dundas BI, such as data cubes and dashboards, are treated as files within the Dundas BI file system.
The File Explorer lets you navigate Dundas BI projects and the files and folders they contain. You can perform operations such as:
- Toggle checkboxes on all projects, files, and folders using a toolbar option.
- Check or uncheck all checkboxes from the toolbar.
- Apply a batch operation on selected files, such as check in, check out, transfer check out, publish, and deletion.
- Right-click on an individual file and perform operations on it such as Edit or Publish.
- Hover over an OLAP measure/hierarchy to see the unique name in a tooltip.
- Hover over a data cube measure/hierarchy to see the description and uniue name in a tooltip.
- Search for files by typing in search terms or by entering the file ID (e.g., an error message indicates a problem with a file having a specific ID which you can look up here). This feature is also available in the Explore window.
To access the File Explorer, go to the Admin screen, click Projects & File System on the left, and then click File Explorer.
5. See also
- Working with projects
- Log on to Dundas BI
- Using the home screen
- File and folder properties