Manage projects and the file system
This article shows you how to manage projects and their files using the Projects and File Explorer administration options in Dundas BI.
A project lets users organize related work in Dundas BI and collaborate with other users who have access to the same project. See Working with projects for more details.
2. Add a new project
To add a new project in Dundas BI, go to the main menu and click the Admin button.
This launches the Admin screen which presents a categorized list of admin options on the left. Click the Projects & File System category heading to expand it.
Click Projects to see the list of existing projects on the right, then click Add New on the toolbar.
In the Create a New Project dialog, type a name for the new project.
If you're using multi-tenancy and have existing tenants, you can choose a tenant to be associated with the new project.
Select the Active Project option if you want the new project to be set as the active/current project after it has been created.
The Projects list is updated with the newly added project.
3. View the list of projects
In the Admin screen, click Projects & File System, and then click Projects to see a list of the projects in the system.
- To view or modify the settings for a project on the list, including its security privileges, select the project and click Edit in the toolbar to open the Properties dialog.
- Make a copy of an existing project by selecting the project and clicking Duplicate Project in the toolbar. You'll be asked to enter a name for the copy and the initial project privileges.
- Private – After the project is created, only the creator will have access to it.
- Public – After the project is created, the Everyone group will have Read access to it.
- Custom – After the project is created, the project's security dialog will open.
- Copy from source project (duplicate only) – After the project is created, the privileges used by the source project will be copied.
- Open the Maintain Project dialog by selecting the project and then clicking Maintain project in the toolbar. This lets you view, edit, and delete unused entities in the project.
- To delete a project from the Projects list, select the project, click Delete in the toolbar and then confirm the operation. Note that the built-in <GLOBAL> project cannot be deleted.
3.1. User projects
This list of projects does not include each user's personal project (named 'My Project'). To access another user's personal project, edit the user's account, scroll down, and click the button for their project.
All of your work items in Dundas BI, such as data cubes and dashboards, are treated as files within the Dundas BI file system.
Under Projects & File System, the File Explorer option lets administrators navigate Dundas BI projects and manage the files and folders they contain. It provides administrators the same options as the Explore window but shows all projects at once.
You can use either the File Explorer or the Explore window to:
- Right-click on an individual file or folder to edit or publish, manage check out status, cut/copy/paste between folders, create new folders, or edit properties such as security privileges.
- Search for files by typing in search terms or by entering the file ID (e.g., if provided in an error message).
- Use the toolbar to check or uncheck all items, or apply a batch operation on selected files, such as check in, check out, transfer check out, publish, and delete.
Depending on their security privileges, non-administrator users can also perform most of these operations from their Explore window within their current project.
Administrators have a Transfer Check Out option when another user has a file checked out. If that user is unavailable, for example, you can transfer their changes to your account and either check in or undo their changes to allow someone else to check out the file.