Dundas BI - System Requirements
Dundas BI is a web-based server application that requires IIS and either Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL for storing application data.
Below are the minimum web browser and OS requirements for client-side devices.
- Chrome v.26
- Firefox v.20
- Internet Explorer v.11 – not recommended due to known limitations
- Safari v.6 – not supported on Windows
- Microsoft Edge
- iOS 6
- Android 4.0 - for Android Chrome browser only
Below are the hardware and software requirements for the Dundas BI server.
- 1.5 GHz - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 2.0 GHz - minimum for production use
At least two logical cores are required for in-memory storage.
- 4 GB - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 8 GB - minimum for production use
- 16 GB - minimum for production use with in-memory analytics
Hard disk space:
- 10 GB free - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 50 GB free - minimum for production use
Only 64-bit operating systems are supported. Note that Core and Home editions of the following operating systems are not supported because they lack IIS features which Dundas BI requires (such as Windows Authentication and SSL certificates).
- Windows 7 SP1 - evaluation use only
- Windows 8 / 8.1 - evaluation use only
- Windows 10 - evaluation use only
- Windows Server 2008 R2 - Server Core is supported with SP1 or later
- Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
Desktop operating systems such as Windows Vista/7/8/10 are supported for evaluation use only because of limitations such as connection limits which make them unsuitable for production use.
- .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher
- IIS 7 or higher
Database server (can be the same server or a separate server):
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 / 2014 / 2016. We recommend using Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or higher. This requirement is for the application and warehouse databases only (older servers are still supported for data sources).
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Editions are supported but not recommended for production use due to limitations. Microsoft SQL Server Express LocalDB is not supported.
- Microsoft SQL Azure V12 or higher. This requirement is for the application and warehouse databases only (older servers are still supported for data sources).
- PostgreSQL version 9.6 or higher
Note that the database server must be configured to accept remote connections.
4. Data sources
Dundas BI can connect to the following types of data sources, each of which may have additional (driver) requirements for the Dundas BI server as indicated below.
|Data Source||Additional Driver Requirements|
|EXASolution database||EXASolution ADO.NET driver|
|Google Analytics / BigQuery / Sheets||None|
|JDBC (generic)||64-bit version of the Java SE Runtime Environment version 8 or above and the JDBC driver for the specific data source|
|IBM DB2 database||IBM Data Server Package (DS Driver)|
|Microsoft Access and DBF||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable|
|Microsoft Dynamics CRM||None|
|Microsoft Excel||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable|
|Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express or higher
|Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 or higher (including tabular instance)||Azure Analysis Services requires the latest ADOMD driver from Microsoft|
|MySQL 5.0.45 or higher||MySQL Connector/Net driver|
|OData (Open Data Protocol)||None|
|ODBC (generic)||ODBC driver for the specific data source|
|Oracle 10g / Oracle 10g Express Edition (XE)
Oracle 11g / Oracle Database Express Edition 11g
Unmanaged (not Xcopy) Oracle Data Provider for .NET. ODP.NET v126.96.36.199 or higher
Note: After adding and configuring the tnsnames.ora file, you need to Recycle the App Pool and refresh the browser
|Oracle 11g Essbase||None|
|SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0 or higher||None|
|SharePoint Lists and Excel Services||None|
|Teradata 12.0 or higher||.NET Data Provider for Teradata|
|Vertica database||HPE Client driver – ADO.NET provider version 8.1.1 or higher|
Dundas BI requires certain additional software on the server when using Microsoft SQL Server for the application database (no additional software is required when using PostgreSQL). You can download the following installer packages and install them on the server yourself. Or, the Dundas BI installer will automatically download and install them for you if they're not already installed on the system. This requires an active Internet connection.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 or higher
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher
- Application Server Role (for Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012) or Web Server(IIS) for Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher
- SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack which includes:
- Microsoft SQL Server CLR Types
- Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Analysis Management Objects
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 ADOMD.NET
- Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable
- Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable
You will also need:
- The user ID and password of an account on your SQL Server instance that has db_create permissions or a usesuper account on PostgreSQL.
NoteAfter the installation, the SQL Server administrator will require only db_owner permissions. A PostgreSQL administrator will reqire the CanSelect, CanUpdate, CanInsert, and CanDelete table privileges, as well as the CanCreate database privilege.
- The user ID and password of an account to use for the IIS application pool.
- A web server port to run Dundas BI on (the installer will choose a default) or an existing website for installing Dundas BI as a virtual directory (the IIS “Default Website” is fine).