Dundas BI - System Requirements
Dundas BI is a web-based server application that runs on IIS and either Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL. It can also connect to a variety of other databases and data sources, which may require additional drivers to be installed.
Below are the minimum web browser and OS requirements for client-side devices.
- Chrome 26
- Firefox 20
- Internet Explorer 11 – not recommended due to known limitations
- Safari 6 – not supported on Windows
- Microsoft Edge
- iOS 6
- Android 4.0 - for Android Chrome browser only
Below are the hardware and software requirements for the Dundas BI server.
- 1.5 GHz - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 2.0 GHz - minimum for production use
At least two logical cores are required for in-memory storage.
- 4 GB - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 8 GB - minimum for production use
- 16 GB - minimum for production use with in-memory analytics
Hard disk space:
- 10 GB free - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 50 GB free - minimum for production use
Only 64-bit operating systems are supported.
- Windows 7 SP1 or above - evaluation use only
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or above
Note that Core and Home editions of operating systems are not supported.
Desktop operating systems such as Windows Vista/7/8/10 are supported for evaluation use only because of limitations which make them unsuitable for production use.
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 or higher (installed automatically as a part of the prerequisites check)
- IIS 7 or higher (installed automatically as a part of the prerequisites check)
Application database server:
One of the following is used by Dundas BI to store its own application data:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher- SQL Server 2014 or higher recommended
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Editions - supported but not recommended for production use due to limitations; Microsoft SQL Server Express LocalDB is not supported
- Microsoft SQL Azure V12 or higher
- PostgreSQL version 9.6 or higher
This can be on the same server or separate from the web server (the database server must be configured to accept remote connections if separate).
4. Data sources
Dundas BI can connect to the following types of data sources, each of which may have additional (driver) requirements for the Dundas BI server as indicated below.
|Data Source||Additional Driver Requirements|
|EXASolution database||EXASolution ADO.NET driver|
|Google Analytics / BigQuery / Sheets||None|
|JDBC (generic)||64-bit version of the Java SE Runtime Environment version 8 or above and the JDBC driver for the specific data source|
|IBM DB2 database||IBM Data Server Package (DS Driver)|
|Microsoft Access and DBF||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable|
|Microsoft Dynamics CRM||None|
|Microsoft Excel||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable|
|Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express or higher
|Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 or higher (including tabular instance)||Azure Analysis Services requires the latest ADOMD driver from Microsoft|
|MySQL 5.0.45 or higher||MySQL Connector/Net driver|
|OData (Open Data Protocol)||None|
|ODBC (generic)||ODBC driver for the specific data source|
None. No additional drivers are required.
Note: After adding and configuring the tnsnames.ora file, you need to recycle the application pool and refresh the browser
|Oracle 11g Essbase||None|
SAP Support portal (SAP account required)
For information about installing and setting up the SAP HANA HDB client, click here.
|SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0 or higher||None|
|SharePoint Lists and Excel Services||None|
|Teradata 12.0 or higher||.NET Data Provider for Teradata|
|Vertica database||HPE Client driver – ADO.NET provider version 8.1.1 or higher|
The Dundas BI deployment application checks if the following prerequisites are installed on the server and can automatically download and install any missing prerequisites (this requires an active internet connection).
If you need to install them manually, use the links below to access them.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 or higher
- Application Server Role (for Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012) or Web Server(IIS) for Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher
- SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack which includes:
- Microsoft SQL Server CLR Types
- Microsoft SQL Server Transact-SQL ScriptDom
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Analysis Management Objects
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 ADOMD.NET
- Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable
You will also need:
- The user ID and password of an account on your SQL Server instance that has db_create permissions or a usesuper account on PostgreSQL.
NoteAfter the installation, the SQL Server administrator will require only db_owner permissions. A PostgreSQL administrator will require the CanSelect, CanUpdate, CanInsert, and CanDelete table privileges, as well as the CanCreate database privilege.
- The user ID and password of an account to use for the IIS application pool.
- A web server port to run Dundas BI on (the installer will choose a default) or an existing website for installing Dundas BI as a virtual directory (the IIS “Default Website” is fine).