Dundas BI - System Requirements
Dundas BI is a web-based server application that can be installed on Windows or Linux with either Microsoft SQL Server or PostgreSQL databases for storage. Users can log on from any device using a supported web browser and connect to a variety of other databases and data sources, which may require additional drivers to be installed.
Below are the minimum web browser and OS requirements for client-side devices.
- Chrome 26
- Firefox 20
- Internet Explorer 11 – not recommended due to known limitations
- Safari 6
- Microsoft Edge
- iOS 6
- Android 4.0 - for Android Chrome browser only
Below are the hardware and software requirements for Dundas BI when installing it on your own servers.
- 1.5 GHz - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 2.0 GHz - minimum for production use
At least two logical cores are required for in-memory storage.
- 4 GB - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 8 GB - minimum for production use
- 16 GB - minimum for production use with in-memory analytics
Hard disk space:
- 10 GB free - minimum for evaluation or testing
- 50 GB free - minimum for production use
Only 64-bit operating systems are supported.
- Windows 10 - evaluation use only
- Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 - version 7.3 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
You can also deploy Dundas BI on other distributions using Docker container images.
There are certain known limitations when Dundas BI runs on Linux.
Note that Windows Core and Home editions are not supported. Desktop operating systems such as Windows 10 are supported for evaluation use only because of limitations which make them unsuitable for production use.
- For Windows: .NET Framework 4.7.2 or higher - installed automatically as a prerequisite
- For Linux: ASP.NET Core 3.1 - installed automatically
- For Windows: IIS 8.5 or higher - installed automatically as a prerequisite
- For Linux: a reverse proxy server such as NGINX - can be installed automatically
Application database server:
One of the following is used by Dundas BI to store its own application data:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher - SQL Server 2014 or higher recommended
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Editions - supported but not recommended for production use due to limitations; Microsoft SQL Server Express LocalDB is not supported
- Microsoft Azure SQL V12 or higher
- PostgreSQL version 9.6 or higher
This can be on the same server or separate from the web server (the database server must be configured to accept remote connections if separate).
Dundas BI can connect to the following types of data sources, each of which may have additional (driver) requirements for the Dundas BI server as indicated below.
The ODBC and JDBC data sources listed below allow Dundas BI to connect to various other data sources that have ODBC/JDBC drivers.
|Data Source||Windows Support||Linux Support|
|Amazon Redshift||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Azure Table / Azure Cosmos DB||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|dBase (DBF) database files||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Exasol||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Flat file sources||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Google Analytics / BigQuery / Sheets||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|JDBC (additional data sources)||Java SE Runtime Environment version 8 or above (x64) and the 64-bit JDBC driver for the specific data source||64-bit JDBC driver for the specific data source|
|IBM DB2 database
||IBM Data Server Package (DS Driver)||Drivers included|
|MemSQL||MySQL Connector/NET||Install the MySQL driver|
||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 prerequisite||ODBC/JDBC only|
|Microsoft Dynamics CRM
||Drivers included||ODBC/JDBC only|
|Microsoft Excel||Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 prerequisite||Drivers included|
|Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or higher
Including SQL Server Express, Azure SQL, Azure Synapse
|Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 or higher
Including tabular instances, Azure Analysis Services
|Drivers included||Not supported on Linux|
|MySQL 5.0.45 or higher||MySQL Connector/NET||Install the MySQL driver|
|OData (Open Data Protocol)||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|ODBC (additional data sources)||64-bit ODBC driver for the specific data source||64-bit ODBC driver for the specific data source|
|Oracle database||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Oracle 11g Essbase||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Pardot||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|PostgreSQL||Drivers included||Drivers included|
||Drivers included||Drivers included|
||Download and install the 64-bit SAP HANA client||Drivers included|
|SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0 or higher||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|SharePoint Lists and Excel Services
||Drivers included||Drivers included (online credentials only)|
|Snowflake||Drivers included||Drivers included|
|Teradata 12.0 or higher||.NET Data Provider for Teradata||Install the Teradata driver|
||Drivers included||ODBC/JDBC only|
|XML file||Drivers included||Drivers included|
Additional details about installing and using drivers for certain data sources are available in the How-To section of the documentation on connecting to data.
The following requirements apply when installing a Dundas BI instance on your own servers.
The Dundas BI deployment application checks if the following prerequisites are installed on the server and can automatically download and install any missing prerequisites (this requires an active internet connection).
If you need to install them manually, use the links below to access them. In the Prerequisites screen of the Deployment application, you can click on the prerequisites and press F8 to download the list of URLs.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 or higher
- Web Server (IIS) role (for Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher)
- URL Rewrite IIS Extension
- Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable x64 (optional)
- Python 3.8
- Python nltk module
- Python pandas module
- Python requests module
- Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 Redistributable
Certain requirements are installed automatically when running the Dundas BI deployment wizard (this requires an active internet connection). If you need to install them manually you can use the links below to access them.
5.3. Additional requirements
- The user ID and password of an account on your SQL Server instance that has db_create permissions or a usesuper account on PostgreSQL.
NoteAfter the installation, the SQL Server administrator will require only db_owner permissions. A PostgreSQL administrator will require the CanSelect, CanUpdate, CanInsert, and CanDelete table privileges, as well as the CanCreate database privilege.
- For Windows installations, the user ID and password of an account to use for the IIS application pool.
- A web server port for accessing the Dundas BI website (the installer may choose a default) or an existing website for installing Dundas BI as an IIS virtual directory (this can be the IIS 'Default Website').