Using a Pareto Chart
The Pareto principle states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
A Pareto chart contains both bars and a line graph, where individual values are represented in descending order by bars, and the cumulative total is represented by the line.
2. Data preparation
Sample data: LineTotal as measure and ProductSubCategory as hierarchy.
3. Create a Pareto chart
You can choose to create a pareto chart based by adding a new data visualization or by re-visualizing an existing visualization of a set of numbers:
3.1. Using the Create Pareto chart option
- To add a pareto chart to your dashboard, go to the toolbar, click Data Visualization, and then select Pareto Chart. An empty pareto chart is added to the canvas.
- Drag and drop the LineTotal measure onto the empty pareto chart. The chart will show a single bar representing 100% of the total.
- Add a row hierarchy by dragging the ProductSubCategory hierarchy column onto the pareto chart, or to the ROWS section of the data analysis panel. You'll see the pareto chart animate and automatically show a bar chart together with a line chart. The bar chart is sorted in descending order based on the measure, and the line chart shows the cumulative percentage contributed to the total of each point.
3.2. Using the Re-Visualize option
If you have an existing data visualization, you can re-visualize it to a Pareto chart.
- In the dashboard editor, select your existing data visualization and in the toolbar, select "Re-Visualize". You can also right-click on the visualization and select "Re-Visualize".
- Select Pareto Chart
4. Data Analysis Panel
In the Data Analysis Panel, you will notice that 2 additional measures were created automatically:
- The first formula generated is the Percent of Total:
- The second formula generated is the Cumulative Total (or running sum) of the Percent of Total:
5. Viewing the Pareto chart
- Switch to View mode and hover over a bar to see a tooltip showing the measure value and corresponding percentage.
- Hover over the line chart to see a tooltip showing the measure's cumulative percent value, which indicates how much each bar and the bars to its left contribute to the total.
6. See also