Using a formula visualization
This walkthrough shows you how to use the Formula Visualization control and display the result in a Data Label control.
For example, suppose you have a Bar Chart on your dashboard that shows the List Price of each product, and you want to display the Average List Price on a Data Label control.
Related video: Working with Formulas
2. Add the Formula Visualization Control
1. Click an empty spot on the dashboard to show the Data Visualization menu on the toolbar.
2. Click the Data Visualization menu and select Formula Visualization.
3. Enter the formula function
1. On the formula bar, type the first letter of the formula function and select the appropriate entry from the list of available functions.
2. Type (
3. Type a dollar sign character ($) and from the menu, select the control from the list the available Data Visualization controls.
4. Type a period character (.) and then from the menu, select the MetricSet from the list the available Metric Sets.
5. Type a period character (.) and then from the menu, select the measure from the list of available measures.
6. Type ) to complete the formula and press Enter.
Regardless of the type of Data Visualization you're using, the result of the Formula Visualization is displayed by default on a tabular format by default.
5. Remove unwanted information
1. Right-click on the Data Visualization and select the Data Binding Panel.
2. Delete the unwanted ROW(S) and MEASURE(S).
3. Change the header of the Script Measure column.
Note: You can skip this step if you'll display the result as a Data Label.
First, click the measure's edit icon.
Next, update the Caption.
6. Revisualize to a Data Label Control
To display the average in a Data Label control, you can do the following:
1. Right-click on the Data Visualization and select the Re-Visualize.
2. Select Data Label.
Here is the result:
7. See also
- Video: Working with Formulas
- Connect to data and view it on a dashboard
- Understanding the Dundas BI data model
- List of formula functions
- Adding complex formulas