A data annotation is a correction to a value used in a data visualization, which is applied in the form of a note (annotation). Since a note is associated with data, the same correction will automatically appear on other data visualizations or views that are displaying the same data.
2. Make a data annotation
First, create a dashboard. For example, from the [Sales].[SalesOrderDetail] table of the Adventure Works database, drop LineTotal onto the canvas and ProductID onto the Rows field of the Data Analysis Panel.
The resulting visualization will be a Data Bar Table. Drop a Product hierarchy onto the ProductID row to promote it.
Switch to View mode.
Right-click the Clothing data bar to open the context menu and select Correct Value.
The Measure Value toolbar appears below the main toolbar. This is where you enter a new value for the selected measure.
Click advanced if you want to add a comment for this correction.
Click apply to add the correction.
The value correction is applied to the visualization together with a note. Hover over the note to see its details in a Note popup window.
Finally, right click over the table and click Re-Visualize. Then click Bar. You will see the note that was added to the Clothing value. Hover over the note to see the details.
This shows that the note is associated with the data rather than a specific visualization.
3. Change the correction
Other users who have permissions to view the same dashboard can also change the correction.
For example, as a different user, hover over an existing note to open its Note window. Click the menu button in the bottom right corner. Then click Change Value.
The Measure Value toolbar appears below the main toolbar. Enter the revised correction, and then click apply.
The value correction is applied to the visualization and the note is updated. Hover over the note to see its details.
4. Delete a correction
To delete a correction, hover over it to open its Note window. Click the menu button in the bottom right corner. From the menu, select Delete.
5. Prevent corrections
By default, data annotations are enabled for all measures. You can prevent users from making corrections to a specific measure.
From the Data Analysis Panel, edit the measure.
In the Configure Metric Set Element dialog, uncheck the option Allow Data Corrections.
- Data annotations are not compatible with dynamic measures and function-generated hierarchies.
- Data annotations are not applied when using the collapse all and drill down functionalities or when expanding hierarchy members.
- Data annotations are not affected by the check in or check out state of the metric set. Undo Check Out does not change or remove the applied corrections.
- If the contextual measure is checked out to the user, the correction will be applied directly to the contextual measure rather than create a data annotation.
- When working with OLAP data, the values for totals and the grand total are taken directly from the OLAP source and will not be affected by data annotations.