Monitoring system health
Use the System Health options in the Admin screen to:
- Examine the Dundas BI application log for any errors or warnings
- Manage running and scheduled jobs in Dundas BI:
- Verify email settings by sending a test email
2. Viewing logs
The application log in Dundas BI can help you to troubleshoot operational warnings or errors.
See View logging information for details on accessing the log and configuring log filters.
3. Managing jobs
3.1. View all jobs in Dundas BI
Under System Health, click Jobs to monitor the status of past, scheduled, and currently running jobs. The following job kinds (i.e., job types) are supported:
- Update In-Memory Cube - Build in-memory storage for a data cube
- Update Data Warehouse - Build data warehouse storage for a data cube
- Notification - Scheduled and data-driven notification creation or execution
- Cleanup - Cleanup job performed by the system service
Jobs are displayed in a table at the bottom of the Jobs screen. Each job entry provides the following information:
- An icon indicating the status of a job (idle, running, disabled, deleted)
- An icon indicating the kind of job (in-memory, data warehouse, notification, cleanup)
- A description of the job
- The user who created the job
- The last time the job ran
- An icon indicating the result of the last job run
The legend above the Jobs table explains what each icon means. Or, hover over an icon in the table to see a descriptive tooltip.
3.2. Filter and sort jobs
Use the Job Kind and Job Status dropdowns to filter the job entries by type and/or status. The status of a job can be one of the following:
Click the Last Modified box and use the calendar to choose a specific date for filtering the job entries. For example, you can easily filter the entries to show jobs for Today only.
Use the Order By dropdown to sort the jobs by the last modified date or the job creation date. The A-Z buttons let you switch between ascending or descending order.
3.3. View job details
Click on any job in the Jobs table to see the details of the job including its history.
For a notification job, you can conveniently modify its schedule right from the details screen.
You can also disable a job using the Disable job button (or re-enable it using the same button which works like a toggle).
3.4. Clear old job data
By default, the data associated with a job is cleared automatically based on the Job Data Maximum Age configuration setting. This is set to 30 days initially which means once job data becomes older than 30 days, it is cleared.
If you want to manually clear job data yourself, you can do so from the Jobs screen by clicking Clear old job data.
In the Clear Job Data dialog, click inside the text box, and then use the calendar to select a date. All job data older than this date will be cleared. Click Submit to clear the data.
4. Testing email settings
Email settings must be configured properly in order for certain features such as notifications to work properly.
To check your email settings, expand the System Health options and click Test Email Settings.
Type an email address to receive a test email and then click Submit.
Check the appropriate inbox for the test email which will have the subject line: Dundas BI test email.