Dundas BI is an enterprise-level business intelligence, data analytics and dashboard software for building and using interactive dashboards, reports, scorecards, and more.
There are different types of views in Dundas BI that all display data using data visualizations which are connected to metric sets.
Our enterprise-level, self-service dashboards in Dundas BI let you monitor and measure performance and business metrics in real-time. You can visualize and analyze data from across the organization on your dashboard, helping you gain valuable insight and drive accurate decision making.
With easy, smart and intuitive design tools using drag and drop you can quickly design dashboards and reports.
- Easy, smart drag and drop design tools
- Fully customizable visualizations to create personal and professional dashboard views
- Wide range of visualizations, styles and themes
- Responsive design options
On the Dundas BI dashboard, you can add data visualizations, or components and arrange them anywhere on the canvas. Our dashboards allow you to filter, sort, group, re-visualize, drill-down and perform advanced calculations through an easy to use interface. Our Drag and Drop interface allows you to browse all of your measures and dimensions, and then plot them onto a chart, grid or other advanced visualizations for instant analysis. Dundas BI provides an array of predefined best practice data visualization configurations you can simply use to compose your dashboard.
Our dashboards are web-based and mobile optimized, which enables users to access any data, anywhere with a web connection. You can build, share and view fully interactive dashboards directly in your HTML5 browser without any additional desktop application. With many dashboard properties, scripting options and a full open API, Dundas BI is the most customizable and extensible dashboard creation platform for data visualization.
"The ease of which we can connect to data and build out a dashboard, even on the fly during a demo, is amazing"
- Leidos Health
Our built-in filtering and navigation make it easy for users to get to the data they need, while designers can define their own interactions using custom scripts. Some possibilities include:
- Hover-over and click actions (custom mouse interactions)
- Navigation (drill-down to another dashboard or view, forward/back buttons)
- Data filters (dates, categories, etc.)
- Customizable buttons
- Customize how the dashboard responds to interactions (mouse-clicks, hovers, etc.)
Changing the Visual Appearance
Just about any visual aspect of your dashboard can be modified to fit your own custom dashboard designs. Dundas BI offers complete control over your visual design.
- Change any property or attribute of your dashboard
- Save preferred styles to apply them to other data visualizations
- Share saved styles available to other dashboards, projects and users
- Modify the attributes and layout of dashboards
- Build and save full dashboard templates to maintain consistent styling
You know that numbers don't always tell the full story. Sometimes there's a reason why your business metrics are distorted. Dundas offers dashboard solutions that allow you to tell the proper story with not only data, but also text notifications and notes.
Dundas BI lets you annotate any metric with questions and comments, respond to another user's comments, and view conversations so that your data is always presented in the proper context.
A note is a type of comment that users can make while viewing a dashboard. With notes you can:
- Post questions, comments and follow-ups directly on specific metrics or data points
- Request follow-up or action to be taken on specific areas of concern or opportunity
- Keep comments organized in a conversation thread
- Control who sees your comments
- Collapse and expand notes so they don't get in the way of the data
- Be notified by email when someone replies to your note
A notification is an automated email that's sent out in response to an event. Dundas BI can be set up to send automatic notifications when data reaches certain conditions, or when someone responds to a comment you made on a dashboard. Dashboards can be emailed to a list of users on a recurring schedule, like a weekly sales report. With notifications you can:
- Send reports on a schedule to a group of users
- Receive email alerts when something goes wrong with your business
- Customize each message and specify recipients
Similar to a PowerPoint presentation, slideshows allows users to define their own selection of dashboards or other views in sequence. There are two main use cases for slideshows:
- Storytelling – Slideshows can be used to present certain insights via a series of views forming a logical business story during a business meeting presentation or discussion. For example, you can start with the high-level view of the sales results and then show a second view with more visualization and analysis about a certain region leading to a conclusion and set of required actions. The advantage of using the slideshow mode for this use case is that the slideshow is directly connected to the live view, allowing for answers to other questions that may come up during the discussion using the live views and latest data rather than having to "park" that question and answer it later if you were to use a static PowerPoint presentation.
- Large Screen Automated Displays - A slideshow lets you display a dashboard or other view for a configurable duration before it is swapped out with the next view in the sequence hence automating the display loop. This provides an easy way to display important dashboards on a flat panel in a corporate hallway setting, operations centers, kiosks, etc. Large screen displays are a good way to engage users and encourage a certain behavior by providing informative views and creating healthy competition.
We're famous for our visualizations
Our customizable and powerful data visualizations are famous in the industry, and represent nearly 20 years of technology leadership and innovation. You will be amazed by the power and flexibility of our data visualizations.
Our data visualizations help you to create best practice, interactive dashboards and rich reports for complete data insight.
Dundas BI visualizations are extremely interactive, engaging the users and helping to understand data better and faster. While custom interactivity can be easily added, the visualizations already include a great deal of interactivity without requiring any setup, simply out of the box:
- Data Interactions - Drill down/up, changing aggregation level (instead of drilling down on a specific year, view the entire chart at the month level), sorting, filtering, zoom in/out, grouping and expanding are easily available from the right click context menu and don't require any IT assistance for setup.
- Chart Animated Transitions - Dundas BI carefully separates out and smoothly transitions different kinds of changes: changes to data point positions and colors based on values, chart type changes, changes to axis reference points, and advanced interactions such as drill down, drill up, changing level, filtering, sorting, grouping, and zooming in or out to allow viewers to better and more visually understand changes to data points when doing any kind of analysis. Dundas BI also staggers changes to a series of data points to reduce the number of movements viewers see at any one time.
- Re-Visualizing - Changing any visualization into any other visualization of choice is a matter of a simple click and selection. Users can opt to view the data in a bar chart, re-visualize it to a map visualization and then to a table as they see fit for their data and needs.
- Data Brushing - Automatic brushing allows users to see where the same data is represented in another visualization instantly when moving the mouse over it or interacting with it on a tablet. Identifying relationships and related performance points becomes an easier task when your data responds to your actions.
Scorecards display progress over time. They allow you to display state indicators and provide visual feedback linked directly to your KPIs according to pre-determined business rules or thresholds. Having a fast and easy way to determine the status of a business metric makes it far easier to take action and make appropriate decisions more quickly and accurately.
Our scorecard designer in Dundas BI builds a table of data and/or visualizations with a pixel-precise customizable layout, able to combine together any types of visualizations. Scorecards can then be viewed on their own or used as part of a dashboard.
In Dundas BI, scorecards are flexible enough to support any style of table or scorecard and any needed visualizations. Scorecards are great for scenarios where you need to display tabular data with complex visualizations such as sparklines or bullet graphs.
This scorecard was implemented in Dundas BI based on a design by Stephen Few in his book Information Dashboard Design
Our table gives you the ability to visualize your data easier and faster. Use the Dundas BI tables to display lists, rankings or highly detailed information grouped by hierarchies using different types of visuals such as data bars, state indicators, bullet graphs, checkboxes, images and hyperlinks that are not only allowing you to read the detailed cell value but also quickly focus using smart visualizations and interactions.
Dundas BI's charts offers numerous chart types to choose from such as column/bar, stacked column/bar, multi-level pie, sunburst, line, curved line, scatter plot, bubble, area, curved area, stacked area, 100% stacked bar/area, box plot, range, curved range, range column/bar (Gantt like), candlestick and stock.
Chart features include:
- Data and user notes
- Mixed chart types
- Color rules for highlighting values using colors
- States for conditional formatting or coloring ranges
- X & Y axes with smart axis labeling, major & minor tick marks, major & minor grid lines, customizable intervals, data point markers, secondary axes, multiple axes per chart side for multiple series
- Alignment for lining up axes and axis value ranges for multiple charts
- Support for plotting against numeric (including logarithmic), date/time and categorical scales
- Settings for controlling the appearance of everything above, such as colors, gradients, borders and line dash styles
- Chart transitions (animations) to support easy data discovery including changing of levels and scale when you drill down or sort
Gauges visualize dynamic data on an ongoing basis. They are best used when displaying values against targets or historical values allowing for a quick view, so they offer a complementary function to charts that are used for showing more details.
Gauges are often used in dashboard applications for the manufacturing and financial sectors, where KPIs and other critical data are monitored in real time.
Dundas BI's gauge supports linear, radial (circular) and pie gauge types, as well as a wide variety of appearances and styles such as bullet graphs. Circular gauges support semi-circle, quarter-circle, or custom angle layouts, while users can also change visual-element properties like scales, pointers and ranges, which put context to pointer values and can also indicate a particular state.
Our Dundas BI map provides a level of visualization and interactivity that goes far beyond what can be achieved with a data table or graph. Use our mapping component to enhance your dashboard by displaying (and customizing) a wide variety of maps, making your geographic data far easier to read and interpret. Add custom actions to your maps to control or filter what data is displayed on the dashboard/report by region, city or other map element.
Maps are effective tools for sales or marketing reports, and can be used to show population details, density of material, office locations, etc. The Dundas BI Map visualization includes maps of continents, states, countries, regions and more:
- Supports ESRI shape files that are built in or provided by the user
- Visualizes data via color-coded shapes ("choropleth") and in addition, predefined map element properties can bind to data (i.e. color, border, other visual properties)
- Visualizes data via bubbles or symbols of varying sizes centered above geographic areas
- Plot customizable symbols using geographic coordinates from a data source and use their values to vary their sizes and colors
- Visualizes varying widths and colors of paths such as roads and waterways by their values
- Provides mouse/touch panning and mouse/touch zooming
- Offers standard projections: Equirectangular and Mercator
- Includes legend integration
- Automatic selection of maps and zoom level based on data
The treemap is a hierarchical visualization that shows a distribution of values using differently sized and colored rectangles. Since there are two dimensions (size and color), the treemap can convey two pieces of information for each item. Treemaps are great for visually displaying the relative sizes and values of a large number of distinct items.
The Data Label allows you to add a data-driven text label to your data views. The Data Label can be easily customized to support different text states and display styles can be changed dynamically using colors, fonts, symbols and currency. Data labels also support animated highlighting of real-time data changes.
Sparklines are lightweight graphs designed to convey many data trends in a small space. Sparklines can be placed in a report or a scorecard to give historical context to your metrics.
The state indicator represents the state of your data using an indicator that changes color or shape. The shape (such as an up or down arrow) indicates the direction of the metric, whereas the color indicates the current performance. State indicators can be placed in a dashboard or within a table or scorecard to provide graphical indication of performance.
One type of indicator is the Harvey Ball (also known as a Booz Ball or FAIZ ball), which conveys a score such as a quality or safety rating.
Customize your data views by easily adding a diagram (XAML or SVG) to your dashboard/report providing greater context and at-a-glance viewing for quick decision making. Diagram shapes are bound to your data and update dynamically based on your latest data values. Use diagrams to visualize processes or complex parts views (i.e. body, airplane, manufacturing plant map) that are updating their parts color based on the latest values in your database.
Intuitive reporting in Dundas BI
With Dundas BI, you can create any business intelligence report your organization needs, whether multi-page reports or ad-hoc reports. Our BI and dashboard reporting tool gives you an easy but structured way to create complex views involving repeated visualizations, just by using drag-and-drop operations. All of the required details can be easily combined into a single report and grouped as needed for maximum insight. The reporting tool functionality includes the same drag-and-drop design experience as our dashboards, metric sets, and analysis/data discovery.
Reports are ideal for displaying a lot of data in a multi-page report with a fixed layout. Whether working with a handful of records or thousands, users can access and read the report easily in both cases in Dundas BI. The BI and dashboard reporting tool in Dundas BI provides specific capabilities allowing for automation of the entire reports usage process including email delivery scheduling and printing.
Reports can be interactive just like dashboards but they are often designed to be simply viewed or exported and printed. When using reports in conjunction with dashboards, you can create a far more effective process, and save your organization the time spent preparing reports like routine end of month or end of quarter reports. Using both dashboard and reporting tools allows for greater efficiency, and without compromising the availability of information.
- Increase efficiency and save time and money by eliminating manual reporting processes
- Better versioning control for routine reports
- Encourage user collaboration through built-in annotations, alert notifications, and scheduled reports
- Keep your dashboards and reports in a single familiar portal rather than navigating to a different tool for reporting
On a dashboard, you can add data visualizations, or components and arrange them anywhere on the canvas. You can also do the same on a report, except that the report canvas contains several specialized regions where you drag-and-drop data and visualizations in order to define the content of your report. These regions allow you to specify a set of visualizations, and how you want them repeated.
Building a report in Dundas BI is simple and consists of dragging and dropping items into the header, body and footer regions of the report. Then switch to View mode to see the actual report consisting of repeated elements.
Dundas BI is web-based and provides easy-to-use reporting tools to help create ad hoc reports when you need to quickly drill deeper into your information. With the ad hoc reporting tools in Dundas BI, you can create reports on-the-fly to display information that may be outside your regular BI reporting.
A good reporting tool can easily accommodate the creation of ad hoc reports for both business and technical users. Flexible, ad hoc reporting allows the business user to access critical information for analysis and distribution quickly and with no assistance from IT required. The self-service, real-time analysis with scheduled distribution of reports in Dundas BI streamlines access to the information users need for quick decision making.
Dundas BI offers a full immersive experience on both desktop and mobile. The entire platform is built with mobile-first in mind using HTML5, and does not require any special apps or downloads. You can create, view and share your Dashboards, Reports and Scorecards on desktop and mobile seamlessly, or even do data analysis on mobile devices.
Flexible Mobile BI
The user interface of Dundas BI was designed to be touch friendly so you can even design dashboards, reports and perform data analysis directly on a tablet without having to reconnect to your desktop.
Dundas BI offers Pinch to Zoom capabilities allowing users to focus on the different visualizations. Within a specific visualizations such as a bar chart, Dundas BI offers the ability to select data points and zoom in to that selection or out of the selection to see all points again. In addition, it supports tap actions to drill down/up into the different hierarchy levels of the displayed data points or apply any other data interaction. Tap and hold can also be used to expose additional information such as custom tooltips.
Aside from the touch gestures, there are also built in capabilities that support automatic resize based on the available screen size.
- Scale – zoom in to maximize the available screen size without compromising the aspect ratio
- Resize – dynamically show more or less data points based on the device available screen size. The difference between scale and resize is that scale could produce a very "small view" of the charts and other visualization data points if the screen size is very small while resize will show less data points but they will be readable even on a smaller screen
Get a tailored experience by user type for self-served real-time visual access and analytics for all your data, information and results. Experience predictive and advanced data analytics, stunning data visualizations and on-the-fly data analysis in any format, on any device, with Dundas BI. Our business intelligence and data analytics software enables you to quickly realize the business value of your data.
Business users can view, create, interact with, monitor and share key business metrics, without having to involve their organization's technical team. With our data exploration process, users can easily turn their data insights into their own powerful dashboards and reports and share those with others. Users can create data connectors, metric sets, hierarchies, dashboards and reports, and use established data cubes and cube perspectives for simplified data discovery.
From the interactive designer screen in Dundas BI, you can easily explore available data sources and use intuitive operations to arrange dashboard, report or scorecard views of your data. For further analysis, you can easily apply period over period comparison or formula calculations to data using a familiar expression interface. Smart defaults and automatic data preparation are used throughout Dundas BI to provide a streamlined workflow, which means there are fewer steps needed to progress from your data to desired visuals.
Use R language to uncover patterns in your data and predict trends. The R Language Analysis transform lets you write scripts using the R programming language to perform statistical and predictive analysis on data. Using R language for advanced statistical computing and Dundas BI to visualize and interact with the results gives you the best of both worlds. In addition to R, Dundas BI features advanced interactivity and intuitive data discovery operations including drag and drop for re-ordering and re-grouping as well as superior data analysis with trend and forecasting, priority ranking and statistics for data manipulation.
Explore Your Data
Right from the home screen, users can access a blank canvas where they can start creating a dashboard. They can easily see which data and metric sets are available to them in their project. A Metric Set is like a slice of a multi-dimensional data cube. It specifies a set of measures as well as which dimensions are on which axis, and which filters are available. By simply dragging the Metric Set on the dashboard, the user will be presented with the default view (i.e. a table or a chart).
Users can also drag data directly from their PC right onto the dashboard (i.e. Excel file or diagrams), and then perform various actions including copy, move and edit. They can also easily see their data structures including database table fields and cube measures and dimensions, and then drag and drop them onto the dashboard for further data discovery, filtering, sorting, grouping and drill downs to learn more about their data. Explore, analyze and visualize all your data, with Dundas BI business intelligence and data analytics software.
Interact and Analyze Your Data
Dundas BI advanced data analytics auto-detects hierarchies and time dimensions that enable powerful drill-down/up.
- Hierarchies – easily interact with multi-dimensional hierarchies including geographic and product hierarchies. Very intuitive process with enhanced filtering, sorting, grouping and drill downs
- Time Dimensions – automatically aggregate your date based data into years, half years, quarters, months, weeks and days
- Metric Sets – easily refine the available data for quick development and ease of use
- Data Tools – setup contextual metrics to support your data analysis including period over period, states setup and formulas
- Formula Visualizations - generate new visualizations out of formula calculations or automatically summarize your data distribution via one click box plots setup
Analyze your data faster and thoroughly, and improve performance in all areas of your business with Dundas BI, visual data analytics software.
With Dundas BI, you can connect to a variety of data sources including RDBMS, OLAP, Flat files, Big Data, Web services and more.
Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) capability is built directly into Dundas BI via our data cube layer. Simply add transform nodes to a data cube and connect them together to perform data cleansing or join tables sourced from different databases. The output of a data cube can be stored within the Dundas BI data warehouse for improved performance. Users can also build an in-memory analytical model of the data to enable even faster results for analytical queries. With data cubes, even non-technical users can easily discover and analyze data.
Dundas BI connects directly to any data sources in real-time. As soon as your data changes, your dashboards and reports will be updated automatically without needing to generate a new report.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005+
- MySQL 5.0.45 or higher
- Oracle 10g or higher
- Oracle XE 10g or higher
- Teradata Database 12.0+
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) 2005+
- SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0+
- Microsoft PowerPivot
- Oracle Hyperion Essbase 11
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Comma-delimited (CSV) and other delimited text
- dBase (.dbf) files
- XML files
- Amazon Redshift
- Google BigQuery
- Google Sheets
- SQL Azure
- SharePoint Lists
- SharePoint Excel Services
- Google Analytics
- Salesforce CRM
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Open Data Protocol (Windows Azure DataMarket, SharePoint 2010, etc.)
- Custom Web Services
- Pervasive PSQL
- SQL Anywhere
Dundas BI uses an optional layered approach to bring the data from its original source to your screen. With this unified data layer approach, users can interact with and analyze data irrespective of the data source. At a high-level, the approach includes
- Data Connectors tell the software how to access your data.
- Data Cubes define how the data is broken up into measures and hierarchies (dimensions). Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process such as data unification, transformation and cleansing operations can also be performed at this level.
- Metric Sets define the aspect of the data which will be viewed, including which dimensions are going on which axis.
- Dashboards, Reports and Scorecards for presenting and analyzing the data in a user-friendly way.
Embedded BI with seamless data integration
Dundas BI is an open, fully programmable platform that was designed with customization, extensibility and ease of integration in mind. With an open and flexible platform, Dundas BI supports many levels of customizations from simple end user configurations to CSS styling and full scripting.
For a consistent customer experience, Embedded BI software should easily integrate into your existing systems and look and work like your other applications. Dundas BI features one open, flexible BI platform that can consolidate data from any data source, providing seamless data delivery and a consistent user experience.
- With an open, flexible platform and full API support and extended scripting, Dundas BI can be easily integrated and embedded into existing systems, applications and administration
- Dundas BI can be seamlessly embedded into existing systems such as Client Portals, your Intranet or your CRM system
- APIs also allow for easy integration and support for authentication, user management and administration
Benefits of Embedded BI
With Dundas BI, you can build, share and view web-based dashboards and reports directly in your business application. As Dundas BI is a server-based technology, it requires very little work to install, manage, extend and upgrade.
- Better BI experience and increased user adoption
- Lower learning curve and less training required for users
- Ease of integration and customization with a single solution
- Better access control and management
- Increased security and governance
Dundas BI can be embedded and integrated into existing websites adding powerful interactive dashboards and reports to your internal or public websites. Dundas BI easily integrates with all major web technologies, including:
- Basic HTML pages
- Mobile-friendly HTML5 pages
- Web applications
Dundas BI provides optional support for Windows authentication. This means that users can log in to Dundas BI using a Single Sign On (SSO) with their Windows domain credentials. Businesses running non-Windows networks can either use our built-in account management system, or integrate with a custom network using our public authentication API.
For most organizations, Dundas BI provides all of the required functionality out-of-the-box. For the rest, we provide public APIs so developers can customize and extend the platform to your specific needs:
- Authentication API – manage users, change security settings and log users in and out
- Visualization Controls API – add your own visualizations
- Data Providers API – connect to legacy or otherwise unsupported data source
- Export API – export data into new formats
- File System API – manage Dundas BI file system objects
- Formulas API – create new mathematical formulas that users can add to their dashboards
- Accounts Provider API – Sync users, groups and tenants with your existing applications
Dundas BI has built-in support for multi-tenant deployment scenarios allowing you to easily create and manage tenants in a single instance which are isolated from each other, add accounts for specific tenants and customize the license seats for each tenant individually.
Dundas BI provides end-to-end support for the full Microsoft BI (MSBI) stack and integrates with your entire suite of Microsoft BI technologies, including:
- Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL)
- Microsoft Analysis Services (SSAS)
- SharePoint lists and Excel Services
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Access)
- Windows Security (authentication and impersonation)
- Microsoft IIS
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Windows Azure
- SharePoint and SharePoint Online integration
- Export to Excel and PowerPoint